Thursday, April 30, 2015

Buddy into the corral

This morning I looked out and saw Buddy in the middle pasture.   After noon I checked the fence and did not find any broken wires. It is a 3 strand fence but I doubt as large as Buddy is that he slipped through the fence. The fence is only about four feet tall so maybe he jumped the fence. Again, as large as Buddy is that would be some sight.

When Buddy was near the middle pasture gate I opened it and he sauntered through it, taking his time.  The rest of the cows saw I had opened the gate and were quickly coming over.  I got Buddy through the gate and it closed by the time they reached the gate.  They were not happy and mooed their displeasure.

Buddy walked into the corral to get a drink of water.  I decided it was time for him to be in the corral until breeding season begins the end of June.

I had to play a shell game.  The yearling heifers are old enough to come into heat, but I am not ready to have them bred them yet.   A few days ago Rose went into heat.  At 7 am I heard lots of mooing and it didn't sound like the usual mooing.  I got out of bed and went outside.  Rose was running around the corral in circles and then standing and looking out towards the bull and mooing like crazy. I seen it before.  She was in heat, and it hit her hard.  Fortunately the worse part was over in 6 to 8 hours, and not 24 hours.

Back to the shell game.  I closed the corral gate.  I got Buddy into the loading corral.  Then I then let the heifers and one steer out of their part of the coral.  He was the biggest steer and the one who often mooed in a loud tone when he wanted out to be with the rest of the cows.  I left the smallest steer, and the steer with one horn left, in that part of the corral to keep Buddy company.

I opened the corral gate but half the herd came in instead of ,the yearlings leaving the corral.  Rose decided she wanted to drink milk from several cows.  That resulted in fights as the cows were having none of that.  Later Rose tried to drink from her mother out in that pasture but her mother fought Rose off.

The yearlings were excited to be let out of the corral and ran, and ran jumping and kicking, around the pasture.

Once the cattle left the corral (with a little encouragement from me to the stragglers) , I let Buddy out of the corral and herded him to the part of the corral with the two steers.  So far he has adjusted to his new home.


The two yearling steers waiting for Buddy.

Buddy taking his time walking over to his new digs.



Oreo and mother

Oreo's mother, Panda, and Oreo

Here is a 3:47 long video of Rose fighting and ending with Oreo's mother washing Oreo: https://youtu.be/ETNtyaRTpPU

-

No comments: