Thursday, April 16, 2015

Calves 6 and 7

Sometime late night April 14 or very early morning of April 15 I had two more calves born.  I found them after 10 am in the west part of the north pasture.

Mother #90 was mooing and didn't want me around her calf.  She tried to move it away from me.  I tried to grab it and look to see if it is a boy or girl.  I didn't get a good look but I think it is a girl. 




Mama was ambling over with her calf so I moved over to mother #40.  This was the cow that did not have a calf last year.  She was even more leery of me than mother #90 and instilled wariness that in her calf.  They immediately went walking away from me.  Then trotting.  Along the three strand barb wire fence the calf fell through the fence.  When I went on the other side of the fence the calf ran and fell back to the same side of its mother.  I think the calf was also a girl.


I gave up and walked home.  The calves may be hours up to half a day old but they are already getting fast.  In another day I wouldn't be able to catch them.

Donna came driving up just as I got to the yard.  She stopped by to vent about a situation she was having.  We walked out to the pasture to look at the new calves.  I brought my pitchfork along and kept an eye on Mama.  When we reached the cows Donna held the pitchfork and I ran after one calf.   Again this calf rolled through the barb wire fence in an effort to get away.  This time I grabbed it before it could get through the fence again.  I held the calf up.  Donna checked.  It's a girl.

I went to the second calf.  I grabbed and held it up and Donna checked.  Yup.  A girl.

Over seven calves born so far, five have been girls.

 Also, I noticed that the all black cow had a black calf with  white face - just like Buddy, her daddy.  The broco faced cow had an all black calf.   Go figure.

No comments: