Thursday, November 01, 2012

Corral well - much work, little progress

Another frustrating day at the well on Wednesday.  So much work, so little progress.

The pumps went well.  All I had to do was prime them with water and they started pumping.


Today I got a photo of the screens on my hoses.



Then it was down into the well in an effort to dig the pit a foot deeper.

The problem was I had to spend so much time re-doing the side metal pieces and the braces.  The weight of the gravel and sand pushed the metal pieces inward shrinking the area I had to work in.  To work on one side I had to move the gravel and sand to other sides.

As you can see I moved the metal at the bottom of the photo back to under the concrete casing.


A closer view of the bracing.


A problem I have is that as I dig deeper the metal pieces do not move lower, but the sand and gravel underneath the pieces slip into the dug area and the gravel and sand behind the metal slips down and under also.  Sometimes I feel as I am recycling the sand and gravel over and over.

Adding to the hassles is bumping a brace and the metal shifting and the wall sloughing as a result.  Gravity seems to be especially strong in the well as everything tries to get to the lowest point.

Eventually the pit between the metal pieces shrank and I could no longer bend down to use my small shovel.  I was back using a post hole digger.  And to losing over 90% of the gravel and sand the digger grabs each time.

It seemed like I ended up with lots more gravel behind the metal pieces and it wasn't because I dug it from the pit.  The two good sides started sloughing.  Where I had metal against the walls, now I had open space behind the metal.

It was dark when I quit for the day so I didn't have a chance to measure how much deeper my pit is.

No comments: