Monday, August 22, 2011

Mowing in the NE pasture

Sunday I changed the oil on my lawn mower, then mowed in the NE pasture until I ran out of gasoline.

A difference I notice between cattle and horses is that cattle eat the grass evenly and horses don't.  They leave clumps of grass.  Also horses will select an area to be their bathroom and then don't eat from that area.

Now that the horses are out of the NE pasture I decided to mow a few areas because the grass is mostly brown and dead.  Some areas are so dry that if one dropped a match they would be hard pressed to put the fire out.  As some of the tall grass left by the horses were around my buildings I decided to mow around my buildings.

The one area with green grass by a building was used by the horses as their bathroom area so I mowed in that area to break up the manure.

This was the area with the most dry grass.  I took the photo halfway through mowing the area.


The bathroom area behind the livestock's loafing shed.


How it looked when I was done for the day. I don't plan to mow the entire NE pasture, though once I get more gasoline I plan to mow a little behind the buildings on the right side.

No comments: