Friday, August 19, 2011

Aluminum cans

Thursday I took my aluminum in for recycling.  In the Flathead Valley, during the week of the county fair, the local recyclers pay extra for aluminum cans. One place said they are paying 10 cents a pound extra over what the price will be next week. One recycler paid 60 cents a pound and the smaller competitor paid 61 cents.  Since I was going to be on the west side of town Thursday I went to the 61 cents a pound place.

It has been quite a few years since I last took aluminum cans in to be recycled so I had plenty of them in among my tool shed's "treasure pile". I don't drink much pop, and no beer, so the vast majority of those cans are ones I had picked out of the ditch up and down the road from the ranch in my effort to keep the ditches clean of garbage.  People toss a lot of beer cans out of their vehicle as they drive by.

I had a few other aluminum odd and ends.  Yes, Curt, the lawn chair frame is in the photo below.  I took it apart more to get rid of the rivets which I don't think were aluminum.

I also took a little bit of copper wire.

I had 65 pounds of aluminum cans.  About four pounds of other aluminum (for which one gets less money).  I had two pounds of clean copper and two pounds of dirty copper.  Dirty copper is copper with solder or has been burned to remove the plastic casing on the copper.

In the end I got $49.85 for my efforts.  Already I have a couple of aluminum cans to start my collection all over again.  My "treasure pile" is less, but I have a long way to go to clean it up and organize it.

No comments: