Thursday, August 04, 2011

Fixing Bob's irrigation spigot

Today I helped fix one of Bob and Jan's irrigation spigots.  Instead of coming up from the ground and watering the lawn and flowers, water bubbled up. The flowers were dying now that we haven't had rain for a week or so. I dug up dirt and mud around the spigot and found it wasn't connected to the underground pipe.

Bob and Jan got a metal clamp and when I fitted the spigot hose back onto the underground pipe connection, I tightened the clamp to keep the spigot on the pipe.

It sounds easy enough but it took some time and work to complete.  With Bob's health problems he couldn't help much beyond giving me advice.

Even though the connection was ribbed, the hose between the spigot and this connection had come off.  I imagine the freeze/thaw cycles over the years separated the hose from this connection even though it was in the dirt.  Bob would use air to blow the lines clear of water, but this spigot was one of the farthest ones away from the pump house.


Here is the spigot after I placed it back in the ground.



Here is the spigot working.

No comments: