Monday, August 29, 2011

Fence fixing for the cattle to south pasture

Dan and I settled on how and when we are selling our cattle.  Next week it will be.  In the meantime I decided to let the cattle back into the south pasture one more time.  While the hayfield still has green grass, and perhaps enough grass to feed the cattle until they leave, it is better to rotate them to a new pasture.  Especially now that the river water level has dropped low.  The lowland area that was underwater this past Spring now has tall lush grass.  Instead of the hayfield's pale dry looking Summertime green it is Springtime dark green in the lower area of the south pasture.  It will be a treat for the cattle.

The downside to the low river level is that the cattle can 'river walk'.  So I checked the fences along parts of the river - mine and the neighbor's.  With the very high water this year dirt around some of the fence posts eroded away and needed to be fixed.  Also those darn deer broke the top barb wire of one fence and I used a fence stretcher to repair it.  

Why did I fix my neighbor's fences?  One neighbor has had no cattle for many years and no interest in maintaining the remote fence.  The other neighbor never put his cattle across the river this year and therefore did not maintain his fence.  It is easier for me to maintain the fences than chase cattle when they get away from my pasture.  My pasture has enough good grass to satisfy the cattle - but I know cattle, and sometimes they get an itch to wander.

The photo is of one of my neighbor's fence that I maintain.   Over the years the posts have become more of boards I had added to replace rotted fence posts.  The fence is simple as its purpose is to keep my cattle from coming up the river bank onto the neighbor's land.



The river is low and the grass near the river is very tall.



I also moved the cattle's salt blocks to the south pasture.

No comments: