Thursday, October 28, 2010

West side corral start

Wednesday and Thursday were nice - at least relatively speaking to elsewhere, especially places that got snow - so I decided to work more on redoing my loading corral.  This is the first fence work I've done all year.

The last I had worked on the loading corral was back in 2008.  So much for my quickly rebuilding the loading corral.  Here is a link to posts when I previously worked on it.

Here is an overall view of the west side of the corral and adjacent fence.


Here are photos of when I started and where I ended up the end of Thursday.  Note, Thursday's photo was taken in the rain.


I had expected to get further along but on Wednesday and Thursday I was visited by several of my neighbors. Wednesday's neighbor had learned of the elk in the area and asked if he could hunt on my land.  I already have someone hunting here and I only want one person at a time.

Thursday's neighbor returned the pocket gopher trap I had lent him now that he had caught a pocket gopher.  Now that he knows this method works he plans to buy a trap or two to trap the rest of the pocket gophers on his property.

By the time Thursday's neighbor left it was just starting to rain lightly.  I had just started that day's work on the fence and didn't want to waste another day.  Maybe the rain will stop soon.  I had boards to remove and I could do that in the rain.

It kept raining lightly and I was getting wet.

I decided to get the used railroad ties and move them to the posts I planned to replace.  These ties are 10 ft long and 9 inches by 7 inches in diameter.

Heavy.

For some reason some ties are heavier than others of the same length and width.  I could drag two of the ties to where I wanted them.  The third tie was so heavy I could not drag it and I had to "walk" it by lifting one end and carrying it around.  Then lifting the other end and doing the same.  Over and over.

It will be quite the effort to lift this tie and slide it into the hole once I dig it.  I will have to get it right as the tie is too heavy for me to lift out of the hole.

Here is how the tie compares to the one post I removed.


The forecast is for rain on Friday.  We'll see what happens.  Thursday was suppose to be nice and we had rain.

No comments: