Monday, October 25, 2010

Loose steer

This morning I woke to discover that my neighbor across the road finally got livestock on his property.  It took him and the livestock's owner all summer to build a fence, and this past weekend my neighbor finally installed gates on the fence.

The number of cattle was more than I expected for a small field, but then again, the grass is still long and thick from the summer's growth, even if it is mostly dry now.

The cattle must have been delivered shortly before I noticed them as they were in the typical constant movement around and around to check out all the boundaries of their new location.

The new fence looked good when they built it, but by late morning I noticed one steer outside the fence and in the field of another property owner directly across from my house.  This owner kind of had an old fence, and in spots had no fence.

I called Jamie to let him know he had a loose steer.

By the time I went outside the steer had quickly moved south in the ditch along the road and Jamie was arriving.  I let him handle the steer, especially as it had long horns.

This summer when I had talked with the cattle's owner he told me he had Corriente cattle. These cattle do look and act like that breed, especially the escape artist characteristic.
Corrientes are also known as accomplished escape artists, as they can leap a standard barbed-wire fence and squeeze through fairly small openings.

No comments: