Sunday, October 10, 2010

Painted windmill

Today I worked on the small windmill in my front yard.   I had put it up for my dad back in the late 1990s.  Time has taken its toll as the windmill is starting to show signs of rust.  So time to paint it.

Off-and-on I have been sanding the rust off this past week.  After spending all afternoon today working on it, I decided I was done sanding.  To get all the rust I would have to take the windmill apart and I didn't want to do that.  It was annoying enough to sand what I did as the windmill was all small pieces and edges.

The photo was taken before I finished sanding.

I had time before dark and I ended up spray painting the windmill until I ran out of paint.  I got everything but the blades painted.


I decided to paint the windmill red so as to match my barn color.  I like the red color.  However... I am not sure it is a good color for my windmill now that I painted it.  The red is too bold of a color for the windmill to be just that color.  I think I need at least one other color, maybe more.  But I am undecided as to what the other color should be, and what parts of the windmill should be what color.  My first inclination is to have the second color be white.  But I don't know.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as what the color or colors should be, and which parts should be which color.

To end... several things added to my annoyance today:
  • I ran out of red paint before I could paint all of the windmill.
  • I wore a nicer pair of pants today as I hadn't planned on painting.  Yup, I got paint on the pants and it dried before I noticed it and could clean the paint off.
  • I got paint all over my fingers, and even though the paint appeared to have dried and did not want to wash off my fingers, everything I touched got red paint on it.
  • Several hours after I finished painting the windmill, it rained.  Come morning and daylight I will see if all the paint dried or whether the rain washed some of it away.

No comments: