Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Digging tree stumps

This afternoon the clouds opened over my part of the valley and let the sun shine.  Yay!

I wandered around the south pasture to check it out as I hadn't been there from the time before I went to North Dakota.  I checked out my large cottonwood trees to make sure no beavers had returned to gnaw on them.  They are fine.

I have two tree stumps in the south pasture to dig for burning in bonfires next year.  Today I dug around one stump.  I even dug out part of the stump.

Photo 1 was taken after I pulled the stump from the remaining dirt, but not from the hole.
Photo 2 was after I removed the stump from the hole.


Like pulling teeth!

Since the dirt has some moisture in it and is soft I finished digging around the rest of the stump.  I forgot to take a photo of the end result, though you can see part of the stump in the left side of the above photos.

So... another stump ready for a bonfire next year when Tammy returns for a visit.

Btw - my shovel has a fiberglass handle.  I thought the fiberglass was suppose to be good for life and would not break.  Today the handle is starting to crack and bend.   What's up with that?!

No comments: