Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Let's get physical

Manual labor day.

After checking my pocket gopher traps (2 more caught) I moved some of my railroad ties.  I would like to work more on my loading corral rebuild but I have other items higher on my to-do list.  Still, I moved a dozen of my larger ties to a new location and stacked them.  These are heavy ties and I used my pickup to move them even though the distance was short.  The ties are heavy enough that I can only lift one end and drag them.

When unloading and stacking the ties I had the pickup turned off but with the radio playing.  Once I was done moving the ties the pickup wouldn't start due to a low battery.  I guess after sitting for a long time the past few months the battery wasn't as strong as I thought.  Fortunately after letting it sit a while the pickup started.  With the other vehicles' batteries iffy right now, and being in the pasture and away from an electrical outlet for using a battery charger, I was between a rock and a hard place.

I did more painting today.  Today's color: gray.  I got a couple hours of painting in for touch ups on the house, more on the trim on the large north window, and more on the underside of the entry patio.  I wasn't able to finish the patio as it was after 4 pm.  According to the paint can one should paint only when the temperature was above 35 degrees and that includes the four hour drying time.  I am not sure whether I made it tonight as when I checked at 8:30 pm the temperature was already down to 31.5 degrees.

After painting, since I had a few hours until complete darkness, I split some logs.  (I had planned on mowing the yard one last time for the year but discovered I had no gasoline for the mower).  I got half of my log pile split before it got too dark to aim the splitting axe.

After I put the ax and firewood away I heard a deer in the darkness. It sounded like it was on the other side of the corral.  I could hear it snorting and hissing to try to catch my scent.  Lots of snorting and hissing.

I made an apple pie today.  I also made the crust from scratch.  In the past I sometimes had too stiff of a crust. Tonight's crust was crumbly.  It tasted good but when putting a piece of the pie on my plate the crust fell all apart.  My piece of apple pie reminded me more of a crisp than a pie.

I must have split some good logs as tonight's heat is warmer than usual.  It was 75 degrees earlier in the house though it has now settled back down to 71 after I stopped adding logs to my wood stove.

Between moving the ties and splitting logs my arms and wrists are tired tonight.

No comments: