Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Juggling chainsaws

I woke up to snow again this morning.  *sigh*  At least it had stopped snowing by the time I got out of bed and most of the snow was gone by sundown.

It was a gray blah overcast day.  Not every day here is a great day.

On the drive home this afternoon from running errands uptown the route I chose had a downed transmission line that took out power to the NW area of town.  My route was closed as the downed line was across it.  The stoplights were out and the traffic was backed up.  Since I couldn't take my road I had to drive north a few more miles before I found a road that went over to where I wanted to go.

I have another chainsaw.   I had taken my old chainsaw into Terry's because the chain kept jumping the bar.   The chain adjuster was broken inside and out.  He had trouble finding the part and felt the final repair cost would be over $100.  I could buy a brand new replacement chainsaw for $150.

His hourly labor rate for repairs is $65 an hour.  Not bad work if you can get it.  The cost for the estimate was $25.   In exchange for payment I had the option of giving him my broken chainsaw.  While the chainsaw's engine was very good, I had no use for a broken chainsaw.   I agreed if I could keep the chainsaw's bar.  I had just bought a new one and installed it.  He agreed.  I imagine he gets more chainsaws with bad engines than bad bars.

I asked Bob to watch ads in the newspaper for chainsaws on sale.   Bob said he had an old chainsaw I could have.  He hadn't used it in years but it ran excellently when he did last use it.  He said the fuel line had rotted and needed replacing.  Bob also felt the chain was unbalanced as it had two identical links in a row and caused the chainsaw to give an extra bite when those links came around.

Terry said it was common for chains to be like this and no repair/change necessary for it.   Apparently the fuel line was fine as the work he ended up doing was to put in a new spark plug, new gas, an O ring on the gas cap and then adjust the carburetor.  If that was all it was I could have done that.   It cost me $42.  Well... it is cheaper than a new chainsaw.

Tomorrow I will see how the chainsaw runs.


No comments: