Thursday, July 09, 2009

Wednesday this and that

Wednesday I took Tammy to the airport for her return trip home. It had rained there (a few miles away) so that is why the official rain total for the day was .29 inch. It was dry when I got back home. All I got Wednesday was enough rain to wet the pavement briefly. I so need rain as it is dry. The official rain total for the month is .59 inch but it seems as if every part of the Valley is getting rain but my area. All I get is only enough to briefly settle the dust.

Still have not heard back from Wyatt about when he will cut my hay and I had left him another message Wednesday.

My neighbor's burnt building is still standing. But Wednesday he pulled his burned out excavator from the building and hauled it away.

I found five new and reopened gopher holes. So I haven't completely eliminated them yet. The time is running short as they will soon stay underground until next year. The gophers are getting tricky or desperate as I found three of the holes under thick branches of pine trees.

I moved the fence where the eroded bank gave way and the heifer slipped under the fence and into the river. Then I checked the rest of the river fence in that area and found the cattle had completely tore up the section of the fence that goes from the large log that is eroding into the river up to the middle/south pasture fence. *sigh* So I fixed that fence also. I had to wait a while during the rebuild as the cattle had come down to the river and I didn't want them to watch my work and get any ideas when they come back to the middle pasture. I have a little more work to do today on another part of a river fence elsewhere in the middle pasture as with the lower river level the cattle had walked around the end of the fence.

Otherwise the cattle are behaving. *knock on wood* My one neighbor put his cattle across the river this week. Including his bull. This year his bull found his cows before my heifers. He has not seen my heifers yet. But I think he can smell them. Last night as I was working on the fence the bull ranged the property across the pasture where I currently have my cattle. The bull was alone and not with his cows. He can't see my cattle in this pasture due to the trees. But he was bellowing and calling. I hope none of my "girls" succumb to his calling and get in trouble.

I nicked my thumb knuckle when pounding in a fence post and tore the skin. Hard to put a band-aid on it and still bend my knuckle. Also got a few splinters.

The tree stump Tammy and I had a bonfire around for her final night here was still smoldering Wednesday. I picked up a few small wood pieces I had missed cleaning up earlier and placed them on the stump and they caught fire and burned. It looks like this will be the end of this stump.




I used a scraper to remove more paint from the well shed. I am in the process of repainting my house and garage. Tammy helped me get started on this job after all these years of needing to do it. She wasn't kidding when she said she likes to paint. I am almost done with painting the eves on the house and garage. I borrowed a pressure washer from Gary as the job of scraping paint off the eves with scrapers was slow and tedious. I expected the pressure washer to strip all the paint from the surfaces but that didn't happen even though the washer put out a strong stream of water. In some areas the water started to eat the wood away. Yikes!

I was tired last night when I got back in the house. After watching the weather report I fell asleep in the chair and then when to bed after midnight. No supper not even popcorn.

It is a slow morning today and I am feeling a little blue.

I just got back from getting my mail and I picked up some of the trash tossed into my ditch. I found the drivers license, credit card, and more in the ditch. Looks like someone tossed the contents of a guys wallet into the ditch. I'll have to track down this guy's phone number and give him a call.

No comments: