Saturday, July 18, 2009

Hay, weeds, cattle, paint

Wyatt cut my hayfield this afternoon. It took him three and a half hours. I asked him to watch for my missing gopher trap when cutting the hay (I found the other missing trap buried deep in a gopher hole a few days ago). It doesn't appear he saw the missing trap when cutting hay.

Here are a few before and after photos:





Now for a change I need it to NOT rain. A chance of thundershowers is forecast for Sunday.

The cattle are still on the small island. I left a white plastic bag on a log on the river bank where I want the cattle to cross over to. In the past they have been very curious about plastic bags so this may entice them over to check it out. In the evening I checked on them again. All eleven are still on the island. They have seen me and the plastic bag. They just don't want to enter the river at this time. The river level is dropping steadily so maybe it will get to a level the cattle are comfortable with soon. They still have plenty of grass to eat.

Otherwise I spent the day spraying weeds. I sprayed five - or was it six? - tanks of herbicide over the NE pasture. Looking at the pasture from a distance it looked mostly weed free, but it wasn't. Lots of low new weeds. I think it is easier for the weeds to start here as, being dry and somewhat gravelly, it is harder for grass to grow here. The past few years I hit the weeds hard in this pasture and the grass hasn't filled in solid yet.

One pasture down and more to go. Now is a good time to spray weeds as they are active from the recent rain. I noticed the weeds I sprayed the prior day are wilting already.

With the hayfield being cut for hay I moved a couple traps to the corral and NE pasture and caught two pocket gophers.

In the evening I painted the north facade of the garage and all the facades on the well shed. The wood is so dry it sucks up the paint and I'll have to put a few more coats of paint on.

No comments: