Monday, July 20, 2009

Farm auction

Saturday I attended a nearby farm auction. The auction was held at an 80 acre farm where the mother passed away last Fall. The three sons who inherited the farm held the auction.

The auctioneer, Carpenter, also included stuff from another estate so there was lots of stuff. Too much in fact as the auction ran from 10 am until 6 pm. That is two to three hours longer than usual. Add in a clear warm day with a temperature in the upper 80s and only a light occasional breeze and it is no wonder than people were leaving by mid afternoon.

I arrived after 11 am and stayed until the end at 6 pm as naturally stuff I was interested in was auctioned off near the end. I didn't want this auction to be another one of those where I left for a while then came back too late.

I did buy stuff while waiting for what I really wanted. I got a heavy duty sledgehammer and a heavy duty maul for $5 each. I don't think you can buy a new handle for that price.

Later I bought two metal rake heads. The auctioneer planned on tossing them into a scrap metal pile until I said I was interested and bid $2.50 (the minimum bid price at the auction). I usually end up breaking the metal rake heads but not their wooden handles.

Later I reminded the auctioneer he had forgot to auction a half dozen large round rolls of barb wire when auctioning stuff from a building. I got all the barb wire for $2.50.

I had hopes of getting several gates, several corral panels, and a harrow. With people leaving, lots of stuff only sold for the minimum bid price so I imagined I would get the stuff I was waiting for cheaply. Instead two new guys showed up once we got to the stuff out back and they either bid on what I wanted, else the stuff wasn't being auctioned (several gates and the corral panels).

For a 10 ft metal gate the auctioneer screwed up the bid. He thought the one bidder bid $40 and he was asking for $45 for the next bid. In the end the previous bidder got the gate for $35, which probably was the right price even though I was tempted to bid $40 until the auctioneer and I both thought the second bidder bid that price.

For a long homemade wire gate I dropped out of bidding at $12.50, though in hindsight I should have kept going as the gate sold for $10.

The two harrows were very nice and sold for $100 each as I wouldn't go over $100 by bidding $125. The harrows were worth more than $100 but not too me as they were more harrow than I needed to knock for pocket gopher mounds.

There was other old small equipment that sold for little of nothing. It was just that I didn't need them or was leery at having to fix them.

It seemed as if the auctioneer and the owners were disappointed in the prices bid on stuff.

Also sold were a couple small wooden buildings and a couple metal grain bins. They only fetched $50 to several hundred dollars each. The place had a number of buildings. One son told me his parents raised chickens, pigs, had several cattle for meat, and some dairy cattle in the various buildings.

I also learned the auctioneer got a 20% cut of everything sold. In addition he charged $65 an hour to get stuff out and set up for the auction and that took several days.



No comments: