Friday, July 17, 2009

Odds and ends day

Wyatt had to replace a belt on his swather so he delayed cutting my hay until Friday. I didn't find out until after I had removed my pocket gopher traps from the hayfield. I put two of the traps on pocket gopher holes in the corral and NE pasture.

I checked on the cattle. They were taking their siesta on the small island. I thought I'd take a break from herding them and let them be on the small island one more day and get bored so herding them later would be easier. Late in the afternoon there were lots of mooing down there. The bull seemed to be calling and they answering.

I sprayed one tank of herbicide on weeds. A few days ago I had sprayed a tank of herbicide over the corral, yard, and half the fruit tree and garden area. I finished spraying the fruit tree and garden area and did a third of the NE pasture. This pasture is not too bad when it comes to weeds as I have sprayed it for several years now. Still, you'd think it would be almost weed free by now, but that is not how it works.

I noticed the deer have been in my garden area again as I found some of my lettuce eaten or uprooted along with a few beet plants. The ground is starting to dry and the weeds are taking off. Weeding is on the to-do list in the next few days. My raspberry plants have lots of berries on them but they are not ripe yet. If I had more time I'd thin the apples on my two large trees. The trees are loaded with apples.

One of my serviceberry bushes is producing some berries. Serviceberries are supposed to be another name for Juneberries but I tell you it must be the climate here, else there are different varieties of this bush as these berries don't taste near as good as the Juneberries I have picked in North Dakota.

I used Gary's pressure washer to strip paint from the garage. I ran out of gas just when I covered all the garage. From everyone telling me to use a pressure washer to remove old cracked paint from buildings, I thought a pressure washer would easily strip all the paint off buildings. It doesn't works that way. While a pressure washer does remove paint, some paint wants to stay and one can cut grooves into soft wood if they insist on getting all the old paint off.

I sanded the patch job on where an electric wire enters the house. The previous owner did a poor job when making the hole and had to plaster the area around the hole. When Tammy pressure washed this area the paint was cracked and she washed off part of that very rough plaster job along with the paint. I re-patched the area a few days ago and now that it has dried I sanded my patch job to make it a little smoother than before.

Talked with Dan for a while. A cow he recently bought stepped on his foot and his foot swelled up pretty bad.

I rode my bicycle thirteen miles to run an errand as I haven't ridden in a long while.

No comments: