Sunday, July 26, 2009

Garden day and rain

Saturday was a garden day. I haven't had time to do anything with my garden in a while and it became overgrown with weeds. My garden is pathetic to begin with and the weeds were not helping.


I spent hours weeding the garden then watered it. That must be why it then rained hard Sunday afternoon.

I found the deer have been in my garden again. They ate two of my three sunflowers leaving the one that was curled and not standing tall. They ate one of my three pea plants and one bean plant and sampled a few other items. Grrrr....!

Well, hopefully my deer problems are over. Friday I found a vehicle had hit and killed a deer on the road across from my fruit tree and garden area. Hopefully that was the deer that was raiding my garden.

The breeze Friday and Saturday was from the east and the smell of the deer got really bad Saturday in this heat (upper 80s). I couldn't exit my driveway without almost getting overcome by the smell of the dead deer. I had enough and Saturday I drug the deer off into the pasture and away from the road. Sunday the wind was from the westerly direction so I don't know if I moved the deer far enough.

I also filled several good sized containers with raspberries from my bushes and then watered them well. Since I was watering I also watered all my berry bushes.

Like I said earlier all this watering must have been why it rained Sunday even though the forecast had a small chance of rain. Friday and Saturday nights had lots of lightning over the mountains but other than a light show it was dry here. If spending a few hours watering my plants makes it rain, then it wasn't a waste of time.

At first hail fell. I would hear a "clunk..." "clunk..." "clunk..." then saw a few good sized bright white hailstones. Fortunately it was few and intermittent so I was able to dash to my clothesline and retrieve the few items I had drying and I didn't get hit by any hailstones.

Then after a little thunder and lightning it began to rain. Then it poured, and poured hard. It rained for a few hours and I believe we got a third to a half inch of rain. This is great for my hayfield to recover from its cutting and also helps my pasture as it had been drying out again.

The rain was bad for the people who cut the two fields across the road from me. One guy made one pass at baling this morning before quitting. I bet he regrets quitting now. The other guy spent three days cutting the other large field and spent this afternoon raking windrows together. All that hay is now soaked.



No comments: