Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Warm nights

I haven't gotten much done on the ranch lately. Monday I spent all day hiking. Six hours were spent driving to and from the Many Glacier valley and seven hours were spent on the hike. I did see a large grizzly bear but that was when I was back in my car after the hike.

Prior to the hike I only got five and a half hours sleep. The past number of nights have been warmer than usual as the low temperature only gets down to around 60 F. I don't sleep as deep or well when the nights are so warm. As a consequence a number of afternoons I drift off to sleep for a few hours after eating a late lunch.

The daytime temperatures are reasonable as they are around 80 F.

I've been on a number of good hikes the past few weeks but haven't found the time to go through the photos and then write up the hike. It is on my long list of things to do.

Today I went around the hayfield fence to check it out. I plan to let the cattle in there tomorrow. With the recent rain the grass is noticeably taller and greener everywhere, and that is a good thing. I had to replace more nails than expected in the older sections of the hayfield fence.

The neighbors' hay fields are still drying. Their hay looks brown and poor after getting rained on.

Some small apples have fallen from my apple trees when it is windy. And I thinned a few of them. I gave them to my cattle. A few have caught on that apples are delicious and they swing by the corral more often these past few days.

I spoke with Jan today. She gave me an extra pizza from when she had all the company this past weekend. Ah, supper finally for me tonight. I've been so busy and on a crazy eating schedule that more often than not I miss supper else have a bowl of popcorn for supper.

Jan showed me where someone cut a half circle in the bottom of their chain link fence. The cut is several feet tall and wide. It is strange as the cut is 15 to 20 ft from the end of the fence. If the person who made the cut wanted through the fence all they had to do is walk around it.

Sue Ann got eviction papers Monday. Sunday she literally screamed at me over the phone because I and the others were going on a hike Monday when she had other plans. Since Sue Ann couldn't go with us we chose a destination where Sue Ann already hiked in the past, didn't like, didn't want to go to again, and where the rest of us had never been to. Still she flipped out on me for going on a hike without her and one she didn't want us to go on. Others have commented on her behavior recently. I don't know all what's going on with her.

No comments: