Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My heifer is a ninja

When we last talked I had gotten eleven heifers over to the small island. Nine heifers were still in my northern neighbor's pasture where they belonged.

Saturday evening when I returned from the auction I found the eleven had finally crossed the river and come over to the south pasture. Hurray! They were near the gate and I went out to open it to the middle pasture and also count that all eleven were there.

They were intent on eating and ignored me and the gate. Fine then. Stay there. I counted and recounted and came up with all eleven heifers. I decided to go to the river and retrieve white plastic bag I had left as a signpost on where to return to the south pasture.

As I walked along the river after retrieving the bag I noticed a black heifer through the trees on the peninsula. What? I had counted correctly I'm sure. I walked around and got a better look. Yup. One of my heifers was over there. Which one and how did she get there? I had to get her back. Cattle do not like being alone and who knows where she will go.

On the way home to get a change of pants and shoes in order to cross the river I stopped to check on the nine. Four were eating in the pasture and... one... two... three... four... four... were in the small shed. Four. Not five. Okay, now I know where the one on the peninsula came from.

How she got over there is a complete mystery and one I still have not solved. And why she went there is a mystery. It had to be because she noticed her sister herd, but how? Cattle in the north pasture can't see cattle on the small island or in the south pasture from the north pasture when near the river.

I often say my cattle are like ninjas. They move quietly and will surprise you at how fast and quiet they move. This particular one, #649, is definitely a ninja.

When I returned to the river I found I had grabbed my slippers and not my water shoes. Back home again to get the right shoes. I also grabbed a banana and a roll to eat as I had not eaten since breakfast.

Once I was on the peninsula I couldn't find the heifer. I searched all corners of it. Nothing. I went to the small island and searched all of it. Nothing. Where is she?! I went to the neighbor's fence and looked over his pasture. Nothing. Not my heifer nor his herd.

Where is she?!!

I looked down river channels. Nothing. I then checked the middle pasture as she had seen me in it when I saw her. Maybe she followed me. Nope.

I went back to the neighbor's pasture with the eight. Still only eight.

I went to the south pasture to check on the eleven. They had been on the east end near the hayfield and away from the river. I found them closer to the river side of the pasture without being at the river. Nine... ten... eleven... twelve. Twelve?! Did I just count twelve? Yes, twelve. My "roaming" heifer found her sisters. All is well, though in the end I didn't need to spend over an hour searching for her.

Next on the list: combine them all into one herd again. That will have to wait until another day as I had to go get the rest of the stuff I had bought at the auction, and meet Brian and Alison at the train station in Whitefish.

No comments: