Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Picnic music: Deja Vu again

Tuesday night I attended the second week of music for Picnic in the Park. The band was Deja Vu. This is the same band who played last year at the concert where I had met Colleen. Here is that story.

I was almost on time this night as I was only 6 minutes late. I could blame my tardiness on the wind as I bicycled, but late is late.

It was a nice warm summer evening and lots of people were at the concert. I locked my bicycle to a lamppost and spent half the concert leaning against a tree. During intermission Gary wandered past. He had brought a second chair for a friend to use but this person didn't make it. I used the chair for the second half of the concert while chatting off and on with Gary.

In front of the gazebo where the band played were lots of kids dancing. Most all were girls with a few boys under the age of 5 here and there. Off to each side were a few grownups dancing. A few were dancing with their kids, and a few with other grownups. To the left of the stage were people Gary knew from his dancing classes and dancing venues.

This year I saw some of the same characters in the audience as last year, but a number of them are not around this year.

Deja Vu is a retro-rock band. But they are not stuck in the sixties. They played everything from Eddie Cochran's "Summertime Blues" to The Temptations "My Girl" to Santana's "Black Magic Women / Oye Como Va" to the Eagles "Take it Easy" to Huey Lewis and the News' "Working For A Living" to a song by the Traveling Wilburys to a song by Phish to John Lee Hooker's "Boom Boom".

The band did exceptional work on the Santana songs and on John Lee Hooker's "Boom Boom". During "Boom Boom" I remembered singing and teaching the lyrics to this song to a former girlfriend straddling me in bed. I'm sure she remembers that. The song was so appropriate.

Here is a youtube video of John Lee Hooker singing "Boom Boom".

Boom boom boom boom
I'm gonna shoot you right down,
right offa your feet
Take you home with me,
put you in my house
Boom boom boom boom
A-haw haw haw haw
Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

I love to see you strut,
up and down the floor
When you talking to me,
that baby talk
I like it like that
Whoa, yeah!
Talk that talk, walk that walk

When she walk that walk,
and talk that talk,
and whisper in my ear,
tell me that you love me
I love that talk
When you talk like that,
you knocks me out,
right off of my feet
Hoo hoo hoo
Talk that talk, and walk that walk

No comments: