Saturday, June 28, 2008

54 bundles of shingles and garden

Today I carried 54 bundles of shingles onto Bob and Jan's house roof. I had help as Bob and Jan asked one of the neighbors across the street if he could help. Jason is half my age and he couldn't keep up with me. His excuse was that he drank too much last night. He kept taking breaks, drinking water, and standing in the shade. Eventually I came down off the roof and out of the sun during the breaks.

The way we worked it is he carried the shingles up the patio deck steps, then the ladder, and then I took them and carried them around the roof. Later I helped carry the shingles onto the patio deck so all he had to do was carry them up the ladder. That way he got a break while I carried each bundle around the roof.

I have 21 bundles left to carry onto the roof tomorrow. We quit for the day after 2 pm as the temperature was in the 80s F and we were sweating up a storm.

Still, I am no longer a 20-something year old as I was tired by the time I got home. A nap, a shower, and lunch in that order before I got on with the rest of my day. I think I am going to feel it tomorrow.

Later I helped Jan with the netting over her strawberry patch. Three robins crawled under the net to get at the strawberries and then couldn't get out. They were all dead and entwined in the netting. We tried to get them out but they were so entwined and so smelly we gave up and tossed the netting.

Several days ago in my strawberry patch I saw two robins. Because of the tall grass in the patch one robin would stand outside the patch on the mowed short grass and keep watch while the other went inside and hunted for strawberries. I saw this while watering my garden and I chased them off. Then I got an ice cream pail and filled it with strawberries. They taste yummy on my cereal in the morning. Nothing like fresh homegrown strawberries.

I also seen in my garden about a dozen plants coming up. No, nothing I had planted. These are either zucchini squash or pumpkin plants. I had saved seeds from last year, but as it was late and I didn't think the seeds would be any good I tossed them in the garden dirt before I tilled it. Now I have a number of plants coming up hither and yonder. The brief rain we had last weekend must have triggered the seeds as they were no where near where I watered what I had planted.

No comments: