Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Mellow days now

It has been a mellow couple of days. Monday I slept until almost noon. Even then that was only just over nine hours of sleep.

I didn't do much Monday. I returned Bob's rotor-tiller and chatted with him, Jan, their son and his wife when they arrived as I was leaving. I took down some of the cattle proofing fencing I had done in the yard. The cattle were nice enough to stop by the corral to allow me to count that they were all still here and that none were too stupid to fall into the raging river.

My hiking group decided the hike to Avalanche Lake in the Park on Monday. Sue Ann called me at 8 am to ask if I wanted to join them. I was very tired and planned on cleaning up the yard Monday so I declined even though it would have been nice to see all the waterfalls this early in the year. Later I learned there were lots and lots of people on the trail. I imagine so as it is a popular trail even when the high trails are free of snow and open.

The Sun Road is still closed due to snow. Back in April and May the Park estimated the road would be open June 15. That date has now passed. Now the Park has moved, from Logan Pass to Lake McDonald Lodge, their big 75th anniversary celebration of the completion of the Sun Road. The celebration is scheduled for June 27. I guess that is an indication the Park is not confident the road will be open to Logan Pass by then.

Today I did some shopping uptown. The traffic was crazy. And on a Tuesday afternoon no less. I took down more cattle proofing and now only have left the fence protecting my small caragana trees by the road. I pruned more trees where the cattle had nibbled on them. After all my efforts to protect the tree/bush under the pine tree by the well shed I should have let the cattle eat the lower part as I ended up pruning all that away.

The cattle swung by the corral again for me to count them today. My efforts the past few weeks at imprinting the barn and corral on them as 'home' has worked as visiting it is part of their routine even though the grass in the corral is short.

Dan came by to drop off three mineral salt blocks for the cattle to add to the several salt blocks I already had out for them. I filled him in on the antics of "Hamburger" (Heifer #20). He was surprised as she acted nice when in his corral.

With all the fence work recently I am glad I didn't throw away my two pair of very heavily patched pants. This past week I was forever snagging my shirts and pants on something and tearing new holes in them or re-opening old holes.

No comments: