Friday, June 20, 2008

Landfill and garden

Today Bob and Jan hauled their tree trimmings and yard waste to the landfill and I went along to unload it all for them. It was a job. When cleaning the last out of their trailer I took off my sunglasses and set them aside so I could see better in the shadows of the trailer box. I set the sunglasses on the side of the trailer and forgot about them. There was a 50/50 chance they would fall back into the trailer. I lost. They are still at the landfill. Oh well, they were a cheap pair of sunglasses with a crack in the frame.

The cattle are still mostly behaving. They come and take their siesta in the corral each noon and I am able to count them. Tonight I noticed one of them working at getting their head through the barb wire fence to eat from the hay field. The grass in their pasture is still almost belly high. The culprit was all black and looked to be heifer #20 - "Hamburger". I didn't do anything and after a while she quit.

This afternoon I finally raked my garden area smooth after my earlier rotor-tilling of it. This evening I planted most of the garden. I do need more carrot and onion seeds. I hope the stores still have some.

Since it is so late I am planting less this year. My rows are father apart and still there are large areas of empty space. I planted:
  • carrots
  • radishes
  • onions
  • beets
  • chives
  • beans
  • peas
  • cabbage
  • broccoli
  • zucchini squash
  • cucumber, and
  • sweet corn
I know it is late for the corn but the corn I have has a growing time of 64 days. That would put it ready the end of August. Last year I planted corn around June 13 and had lots of corn in early September. I have hopes for this year also.

No comments: