Saturday, June 21, 2008

Garden and robins

I have all my garden planted. Friday I rode uptown to get the last of the seeds I needed. That was harder than I thought. One would think carrot seeds are pretty common and would be plentiful but the places I usually buy seeds were out of carrots seeds, and lettuce seeds, and green onion seeds.

What to do? Is it too late to get the seeds I need?

After running another errand I rode by one of the grocery stores I frequent and noticed their temporary greenhouse in their parking lot. I checked and they had seed packets jumbled together in a bin.

"Half price if you pay for them here instead of taking them inside the grocery store."

I search the whole bin and found the seeds I needed. After I got home I planted them and watered them. At least the carrot and onion seeds. It is too late - and too hot - to plant the lettuce until late Summer when it is cooler.

Done. Now I just need my garden to grow.

As I approached my garden to plant my seeds a large robin stood on the gate post. I was maybe 15 feet from the bird and still it stood. I stopped and watched, waiting for it fly off. It didn't. It stood and cocked it head watching me. I waited and watched it. It waited and watched me.

The robin appeared to be standing on one leg as that is all I saw even after bent down to get a better look.

After a bit I suddenly noticed another robin fly up to the fence closer to the well shed. Then I saw one of my red ripe strawberries in its mouth and another fuzzier smaller robin next to it.

"Wait a minute! That is one of my strawberries!"

The bird with the strawberry flew off and the fuzzier one weakly hopped down the fence then flew into the box elder tree nearby. I went over to my strawberry patch and found only a half dozen or more ripe strawberries left for me to eat.

Darn wildlife!

No comments: