Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Trivia night: comics

While I don't need glasses to see after my surgery, they do come in handy in low light situations to sharpen images. I decided to wear my glasses to trivia night this week. I am glad I did as there were lots more people in the bar this night; I was sitting where I could see more of the people in the bar; and there were more attractive women to view.

We don't know why there was this difference this night. More teams to play trivia - though the usual suspects had the most answers correct - and more people playing pool. I got distracted at times. Later when my team was sitting around after the contests were over, two attractive 20-something women came and sat at the bar. The long haired blond had her back to me. The brunette was sitting talking to her and I could see her profile. "Was she giving me a look or just looking around?" A guy closer to their age came and lingered around them briefly but seemed to get no attention.

Funny how I can seem to multi-task at times. I was listening to Darrel talk about plasma TVs while looking at the brunette and blond, and thinking about... Well, the conversation with my team members was excellent this night, and not feeling in the mood to flirt or make a fool of myself with someone half my age, I stayed with the team. The women eventually drifted off to the pool table area and sat on stools next to a lightly bearded young man their age who was watching more than playing pool. They were still there when I left the bar for the night. Did the brunette across the room turn and look at me again as I walked to the door? ...Vanity, thy name is mine.

I did my part in the trivia contest. There were a number of questions on comics and I got them all. ("Who's da Man?!") I also knew a few other answers. The others did well but in both contests we tied for second place. Our scores of 14 and 16 were short of the winning scores of 16 and 18 respectively. The usual suspects won. A few teams appeared to drop out after the first contest. Scores of 2 and 3 correct must have been discouraging.

Our team got the itch to change our name again. As since Mona was not there I was the scribe for the backup copy of answers we use when Ed announces the correct answers. Jeff and Darrel noticed I am left handed. I was asked by Jeff whether I knew that I wrote with the 'wrong' hand. Darrel wanted to change our team name to incorporate my 'disability'. On short notice, before the second contest began, we changed our team name to "Poncho and Lefty" . I don't think it will last as a team name for long.

Our team was all male this night as the spouses did not attend. A friend of Ed's, from Colorado, was in town and joined our team until he got a phone call and had to leave before the second contest began. Dave came tonight and joined Darrel, Jeff, Marvin, and I. Al was not there. Apparently he had been peeing blood. Hard for a blind person to know. Don't know any more details that that. The last I knew his body had stopped rejecting his pancreas transplant.

Dave won the bucket contents of the final quarters question - with my help. The question was:
In what state was the first car race in the U.S. held?
Initially I felt it was New Jersey. Lots of people wanted to guess. Many states were named and lots of quarters were dropped into the bucket. "Hawaii" got a big laugh. Eventually someone answered New Jersey. Wrong. Jeff had heard me but not when someone else said New Jersey and minutes later he guessed New Jersey. I then mused on states not named and decided it must be a state with a large city. Illinois. Dave heard me - I know he did as he looked at me when I said it - and then he put up his hand and guessed. Illinois was correct and Dave won the bucket which was $22 and change. The barmaid helped him count as the bar needed quarters for change and gave him paper money in exchange.

The interesting thing is Dave never acknowledged my help in the answer. Last week when Mona won based on my guess she acknowledged to the team that I provided her with the answer. As she said, and I agree with, I am not going to win if I am too cheap to toss a quarter in the bucket. Ok, the 'cheap' part I quibble with as often I don't want the prize, or don't have any money on me. This night I did have one quarter and I suppose I should have made an effort to get it ready to guess. Oh well.

Darrel, not Dave, ended up buying me a drink when buying rounds. I do not drink much and usually decline when rounds are bought, but sometimes I do feel like a drink, and sometimes it is just good behavior to join the rest in a drink.

For the second trivia contest two teams tied for first place and the tie breaker question was:
When was the beer can invented?
Our team was not in the running but everyone guessed for the heck of it. Most team members guessed the early 40s and either Dave or Jeff guessed 1932 (or was it the 20s?). My first guess was 1937, but then thought about when Prohibition ended and changed my guess to 1934. I got crap about changing my answer, but no matter, 1937 or 1934 were the two closest answers to 1935.

Questions:
  1. Which Dr Seuss character sat on an egg?
  2. Who wrote "The Rubaiyat?
  3. Dostoevsky wrote the novel, "The Brothers _____"?
  4. Which kid worked at the Daily Planet?
  5. Who said: "Leaping Lizards!"?
  6. In the comics, what was Archie's last name?
  7. How long can Aquaman stay out of the water?
  8. Whose garden did Peter Cottontail visit?
  9. Which meat is better? Prime or Grade A?
  10. Which animal is on the logo of Pocket Books?
  11. In Greek mythology, what is the name of the giant with 100 eyes?
  12. How many wives did Clark Gable have?
  13. What nationality was Andrew Carnegie?
  14. What was the name of the whale who swallowed Pinocchio?
  15. What was the name of the Scottish Terrior in the "Lady and the Tramp"?
  16. In a Disney movie, Timothy Q. Mouse was the guide for who?
  17. Which Disney character will be 80 this year?
  18. Who made their film debut in 1932 at the age of three?
  19. From which country did the U.S. buy Florida?
  20. Where was the last rail of the transcontinental railroad laid?
  21. Who said, "I've always relied on the kindness of strangers"?
  22. Which actress was Maureen O'Sullivan's daughter?
  23. What fruit was also called "love apples"?
  24. Where did Cain live after killing Able?
  25. Who was the only person to win both the $64000 Question and the $64000 Challenge?

Answers:
  1. Horton
  2. Omar Khayyam
  3. Karamazov
  4. Jimmy Olsen
  5. Little Orphan Annie
  6. Andrews
  7. 1 hour
  8. Mr. Macgregor
  9. Prime
  10. Kangaroo
  11. Argus (no team got this correct)
  12. 5
  13. Scottish
  14. Monstro
  15. Jock
  16. Dumbo
  17. Mickey Mouse
  18. Shirley Temple
  19. Spain
  20. Promotory Point
  21. Blanche DuBois
  22. Mia Farrow
  23. Tomatoes
  24. Land of Nod
  25. Dr. Joyce Brothers

No comments: