Sunday, April 27, 2008

Brass in Blue

Saturday evening I attended a brass band concert at my old high school. The band was a U.S. Air Force band called: Brass in Blue. This is a 13 member band that plays trumpet, horns, trombone, tuba and percussion with a guy singing a few of the songs.

----

I thought it would be interesting to see some of my old high school but most all of it was closed this evening. I do have a few faint memories of the theater.

By the time I arrived open seats were off to the sides and high near the back. Still, the view wasn't bad. Not all the seats were taken but I still ended up with people on either side of me crowding in this tall guy with long legs.

The program said no one would be seated after the concert started but I did notice a few people entering via a side door during the concert.

I am not young but I believe more than 99% of the people were much older than I.

The band was fine, but I now realize that brass bands are not my favorite. They are too loud and dare I say, brassy. Maybe it is my aging with less of a tolerance for loud music but I prefer the string music concert style I heard a few weeks ago. I do know that none of these songs reminded me of old cartoons.

The band consisted of 11 men and two women. I felt sorry for the women. They wore full length air force blue dresses that almost reached the floor. No sign of an ankle here! The Texas LDS religious pioneer women had better looking dresses than what these poor Air Force women had to wear. These women would fit right in a Muslim Middle Eastern country.

During the "Tico Tico no Fuba" number I think I saw TSgt Kim swaying to the beat. I noticed her skirt sway ever so slightly. That was about it for entertainment to watch during the music. Otherwise it was men with very short haircuts. Bald heads and horns glinted in the spotlight.

I was glad the band played more than marches as they got old.

Let's see.. what to look at while listening to the music?
  • very old people in the audience
  • two women in very ugly dresses
  • men in short military haircuts, or bald
  • horns shining in the spotlight
Even closing my eyes didn't cause me to fall asleep - the music was too loud.

TSgt Kim must not wear her Air Force dress all the time as I noticed a wedding band on her hand. The brochure's profile on her was interesting: enjoys fantasy novels and bicycling. BA in Math and music. Why didn't I meet any women like her when I was younger?



No comments: