Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Lemon pie

Today I made a Lemon Pie for the first time in my life. Mom had a couple of old Lemon pudding/pie mixes and I decided to make a pie instead of pudding for a change of pace. I had never made meringue before and decided to try something new.

I made a pie crust from scratch and then went to work cooking the lemon mix. That is when I double checked the instructions and noticed 'Pour into a 8" or 9" baked pie shell'. Umm... 'baked'? I quickly put my pie shell into the oven.

Making the meringue was interesting. I never used 'cream of tarter' before. I always thought that was something related to eating fish.

The mix was old. No 'www' or 1-800 number on the box. Also, the mix called for adding sugar and eggs to the mix. I believe that also is a sign the mix is old as I think mixes now-a-days only call for adding milk.

I cooked the meringue to brown it up. The pie is now chilling in the refrigerator. Later I'll see how it sets up. I expected the lemon pie to be more solid by this point, but the mix is older and in the past old mixes tend not to set well. *shrug* Oh well... I can always drink the pie.


Photo 1 is the whipped meringue before placing it on the pie.

No comments: