Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Wind and chainsaw

Another weather front came through this evening. The previous weather front from a few days ago passed through by midnight, the skies cleared, and the temperature dropped. I am hoping the same thing does not happen tonight as it was far too windy to cover my garden. The last few mornings have had heavy frost and I wake to a thick white coating on everything, and it is not snow.

I dug all my potatoes today and picked the last cabbage. The broccoli are still growing so I cover them each night. The same with the beets and onions. Hard to believe it is November.

Late afternoon I grabbed my chainsaw and headed out to the middle pasture to cut up fallen tree trunks. My first stop was to cut part of the massive tree trunk I had tried to burn out. The stump hadn't taken to smoldering to completely burn the stump. I cut a few parts on the sides so I have a little less to burn next Spring when I try burning it again.

Then I went to where three tall trees had fallen the past few years. I cut on parts of all three trees with the end result of cutting the equivalent of one tree if I had worked on only one. The reason I split my effort was to cut the parts of the trees that lay directly on the ground.

Either my chainsaw chain is getting dull again or I am impatient at cutting through the trees as it took longer to cut each section than I wanted.

The temperature was in the low 40s F, the wind was blowing, and it was dusk. All meant cool weather, yet I was unzipping my coat and still was sweating a lot. Chainsaw work is hard work, or perhaps I was pressing the chainsaw hard against the tree to make it cut faster.

It was getting dark when I finally ran out of gas and quit for the day. Several hours of cutting with hours left to do.

No comments: