Wednesday, November 07, 2007

200 pocket gophers

Today I trapped four more pocket gophers. My total for the year has reached 200. A milestone. I am still behind last year's total (322), but I am only a little behind 2005's year total of 209.

Ya know, even though some old farmers think it is impossible, I still think I can eventually rid my property of these pests. Trapping hundreds of them each year has to be making a dent in their population. I noticed this year the gophers hadn't been in my yard, garden, or fruit tree area as much as last year.

I've trapped a larger area than I did last year with less caught this year. My line of traps are now all south of the power line towers, but still short of the south end of the hayfield. Since I didn't get this far south last last year (who would have thought with 322 trapped?!), I am in an area with a denser population of pocket gophers so I should be able to exceed 2005's total if the ground doesn't freeze for the year.

No comments: