Thursday, November 15, 2007

Long busy Wednesday

Wednesday was a long day filled with lots of work.

First off I got up early to meet the train in Whitefish. That had not been on my list of things to do as I spent all afternoon Tuesday cutting trees with a chainsaw and was looking forward to sleeping in Wednesday morning. However, Necia, the daughter of Tina, a former girlfriend, was passing through on her way from Oregon to Minnesota and she called me Tuesday night from the train to let me know.

Of course the train would be on time for once, arriving at 7:26 am. That meant getting up early. But I did even if the alarm clock had to wake me up.

It was a clear, cool morning with a temperature of 16 F. As she stepped off the train Necia immediately commented how cold it was. Ya... if you've been spending time in Oregon, 16 degrees would be cold. That explains why Necia has her hands inside her coat's sleeves.

It has been many years since I dated Tina. Since then Necia grew up, recently graduated from a university with a degree in International Relations and Communications, and is now making her way in the world. If anyone knows of a job where she could use her skills not working for a large company, drop me a line and I'll pass it on to her.

Necia has grown up to be an attractive, positive, and poised young woman. Tina did a good job especially considering Necia like many American girls have a rough time passing through their teenage years and are an annoyance to the adults around them during that time. And some like Britney Spears, Lindsey Lohan, etc., etc. still have problems into their 20s.

Necia and I had a nice talk albeit much too brief as the train only stopped for 15 minutes and we had many years to catch up on.

I also brought a pair of cross-country skis to have Necia carry on the train to drop off to my brother in North Dakota. I found the skis easily fit in the overhead rack above the seats. The train attendant had a small concern with the ski pole tips as they were pointed but he allowed them as long as Necia keep them at her seat.

After I returned home I ate breakfast and waited a bit for the temperature to warm to freezing.

Then I was off to collect the logs I cut the previous days. The weather forecast called for cold, rain and maybe a dusting of snow starting Thursday and lasting many days. Wednesday was clear and sunny and a good day to be outside working.

I ended up loading three pickup loads and brought them back to the back yard to be stacked. As I stacked the loads higher than the pickup's cab I should say "two and a half" loads as the third load only filled the pickup's box.

I ended up with a pretty good sized stack of logs to be split later and also a good pile of "chum" - pieces that are smaller, odd sized, broken, softer, bark, etc., etc.



Lots of lifting and stacking and lifting and stacking. *whew!*

Then it was a rush uptown to run errands before a few businesses closed at 5 pm.

A busy day. No wonder I slept hard last night and am taking it slow this morning. No rain so far today though I saw a very light dusting of snow on the ground this morning. The ground is remaining frozen and hard longer each day.

Well, I suppose I better get out and get stuff done today.

Later.

No comments: