Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thankgiving

Happy Thanksgiving!

I hope you all had a nice day, ate plenty of turkey, and are getting well rested for the Black Friday madness.

I had thanksgiving dinner with Bill and Marilyn, Sue Ann, and Jerry and Tiane. Jerry and Tiane are friends of Bill and Marilyn.

I made and brought a green bean onion bake. Sue Ann brought rolls, cinnamon rolls, and walnut cheesecake pie. Jerry and Tiane brought another pie, stuffing, and cranberries with spices (yum!) Bill and Marilyn provided the turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, and more stuffing.

All I did is follow the recipe but everyone complemented me on the green bean onion bake I had brought. The threshold is so low for us male non-cooks.

The food was all good and I am still full - hours later.

After the meal we watched part of a video of Bill and Marilyn's favorite opera, then a funny homemade video of Bill and Marilyn's brother canoeing on Lake McDonald some years ago. It was in the vein of "America's Funniest Home Videos" as they tipped over in the canoe.

Jerry, a retired surgeon, also hunts and fishes. Montana extended the elk hunting season in parts of the state and a couple of his buddies called him this afternoon to go with them tomorrow. Supposedly they know where a herd of "800 elk" are. It is possible the snow and colder weather in SW Montana (where they are going) finally drove the elk down from the higher elevations.

We also talked about hunting/fishing, Whitefish Lake - bicycling and walking trails and expensive homes along the lake, living in New York City decades ago, and traveling in Russia.

Because Jerry had to go home to pack and then get up early to go for the 4 day hunting trip we all called it an early night and left at 7 pm. We had met at 2 pm for the meal, so after 5 hours I suppose it was time to mosey along.

I plan to get up early also as there are a few Black Friday sale items I want that are on sale tomorrow morning only: mainly a camera and a small freezer. The other items that caught my eye are not "must have" stuff. Wish me luck as I am not a shopper and may get trampled by the die hard serious shoppers in the rush.

No comments: