Saturday, November 10, 2007

Beating the cold front

The weather forecast predicted a cold front would arrive this afternoon with rain. I still have projects to do outside!

Right away after breakfast I went outside. It started to sprinkle just as I stepped outside. Great. The front is early. Shortly it stopped sprinkling. No matter, light rain or not, 40s F felt warm and I had things to do.

My projects aren't that interesting to write about. It was mainly straightening and organizing the back yard behind the pole shed. All Summer and Fall I had been "dumping" stuff to later work on: the willow tree branches and trunk, logs, posts, boards, wooden pallets, etc.

Even though it sprinkled off and on during the day I kept at it. I got most everything sorted, stacked, and put away. I cut more tree branches, trunks, and old posts. I split more wood. I pulled nails and took stuff apart.

*whew*

After a late lunch I checked my pocket gopher traps. It began to rain again. This time it was a serious rain. And the wind blew. I was at the far end of the hayfield on my second gopher trap and I continued checking all the traps. Then I ran home through the tall grass in the rain. Naturally it quit raining once I got home.

Kelly had arrived for deer hunting and I seen he took shelter out of the rain under a large tree. Later when he came in for the night he told me he had climbed out of the tree and his tree stand as the wind really blew. He had a video camera and he showed me a 4 point buck that he videotaped.

As we chatted another front came through and the rain started again and the wind blew harder this time.

The overnight low was forecast to be above freezing so I didn't cover my garden. Well... a short time ago I noticed the temperature was just above freezing. I went outside and saw a starry sky. No clouds. Great. That means it will freeze tonight. So much for the weather forecast. The only good thing about the lights from the RV dealership is that this late at night I have light to see to cover my garden. I only covered the broccoli and cabbage. The beets and onions are on their own.

You know, it is kind of crazy... here it is November and I still have a growing garden and am covering it at night. Usually I only make it to mid October at the latest.

32 degrees now. Yup, it will freeze good tonight. How much you want to bet it will be cloudy when I wake up tomorrow?

No comments: