Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Picnic music: Burning River

Tuesday night I attended Kalispell's weekly Picnic in the Park concert. This week Burning River from Missoula played. John Floridis leads the band and one can hear short music clips at his website.

Colleen also attended. I arrived just in time before the concert started for the only time this year. Hmmm.... I wonder why I was on time for once?

The band plays blues favored rock. Colleen and I detected traces of John Mayer, Stevie Ray Vaughn, among others. Oh, did I mention Colleen also likes blues music? She was the one who detected traces of John Meyer in a few songs. Is this woman amazing, or what?

Colleen had brought short folding chairs to sit on and we sat near the front of the audience and had a clear view of the band on the stage. Now for once you'd think I would have a good photo of the band. Wrong. I had waited until the sun had set low enough to light up the band. Naturally I blame the bad photo on my cheap camera. I need to put buying a better camera higher on my "to-do" list.

Colleen bought a few raffle tickets but never came close when the winning tickets were announced during the intermission. I noticed the 6 lbs of dog food was no longer a raffle prize. An overweight man won the prize for weeks of jazzercise classes. Ya, like he would ever use the prize. Too bad Colleen didn't win the "super burrito" prize; maybe she could have traded it to the guy for the jazzercise prize.

We listened to the first half of the concert intently. The second half of the concert fell into the background as we couldn't help but continue our conversation and flirting we had started during the intermission. All is well. The music was very good, and so was the conversation and flirting.

No comments: