Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Man without class

Tonight, Tuesday, Colleen and I attended another one of the Picnic in the Park concerts. The music was by the group LeftOver Biscuits.

They are from Bigfork, MT and play old-time bluegrass music. They are good. I didn't listen intently to each song as Colleen and I chatted away a good portion of the concert. Geez.. you'd think we hadn't seen each other in a long time instead of just spending most of Monday together.

I arrived at the concert on time though I had to drive my car to do so. I had been working out in the pasture, and as I don't wear a watch, I got back to the house too late to both shower and ride my bicycle to the concert. I could only do one thing and chose taking a shower.

When we got to Colleen's pickup after the concert we found a note attached to her distinctive beautiful blue pickup's windshield. The note said:
Lady,

Your man lacks class! My husband and I sat next to you last week. Your man didn't have the courtesy to wear a shirt at a public outing! My husband said he should cover up, especially with that body! You need to talk to him. I am sure this is the truck you got in last week.

Sandy
What?! You have got to be kidding me!

Colleen and I tried to remember whom we sat next to at the previous week's concert. We sat near the front of the crowd. The guy running the soundboard was on our right. We *think* on our left was an old couple and a young couple with a child. It must have been one of those couples.

If my lack of a shirt bother them so much they should have said something then and I would have put my shirt on, or mention something after the concert instead of cowardly writing a note a week later. Colleen and I had lingered after the concert so this bothered couple had plenty of time to say something then. And I thought it was in poor taste to address the note to Colleen and not me. If they were bothered by my lack of shirt, that is something between me and them, and not Colleen. It is not her responsibility to ensure I wear a shirt at all times.

And I wasn't without a shirt the entire concert. I had ridden my bicycle on one of our 90 degree days so I left my shirt off until later in the concert, after I had cooled down from the ride. For all the concert I sat in a chair Colleen brought. It was a lawn chair with short legs so we sat close to the ground. So it wasn't like people couldn't avoid seeing me.

My lack of shirt didn't bother Colleen - or at least it did not bother her in a way that offended her. And those of you who know me... do know that I don't like wearing more clothes than I have to. If these uptight prudes didn't like me not wearing a shirt, good thing they didn't see me when.... Oh. That's another story.

I found the line "My husband said he should cover up, especially with that body!" amusing. I don't believe I am vain, but I don't think I have a bad looking body. I am not overweight, deformed, or excessively hairy, so I believe I have an attractive body that should not offend people. So maybe it was the young couple that was offended? Maybe it was the husband who was more bothered by my lack of shirt than the wife? Perhaps he was bothered by his wife looking my way and was feeling inadequate.

Now at the risk of offending someone else, here is a photo from this past week when Colleen and I hiked up to Apgar Lookout in Glacier Park. Now... would this view of me without a shirt offend you?


After being initially confused by the note, Colleen and I had a good laugh over it. Now tonight Colleen and I did a little kissing during and after the concert as Colleen is an excellent kisser. Next week we expect another note complaining about our kissing.

Just call me: the man without class

1 comment:

Ruby said...

What a tale!
After much consideration, I am going to share a story,although it's not as funny as yours, we still talk about this fellow.

We live on a river(you could fish from our couch). Often when I am outside filling birdfeeders,there are folks fishing. Normally, they are quiet,usually just a nod or wave is exchanged.

One sunny afternoon , however there was a talkative fellow out a- fishing. We were engaging in some bird related chatter,and all was going well. He had a tshirt on,and was fishing off the bank.

I went inside to fill my hummingbird feeder. When I came back out,I was not prepared for what awaited.

My chatty friend was now fishing shirtless.And unfortunately,he still had suspenders on, which rendered his rather large "man-boobies" pinned tightly to his chest above his obviously budweisered belly.

I am of the live and let live variety of people,or he may have found a letter on his truck next time he came around here.

My point,and I do have one,is that I think the lady with the note was jealous of you and Colleen.Seeing y'all having a good time and looking all happy was probably just too much for her.You have a very good attitude about the note,which reflects class,if I do say so myself. (And I bet you do get another note about the kissing!)