Saturday, August 18, 2007

Fair parade

The local fair is running this week and today I joined Colleen, her brother-in-law, his son and daughter-in-law, and their kids to watch the fair parade down Kalispell's Main Street. I rode my bicycle to meet them and arrived after the parade had started.

The parade had the usual small town mix of old cars, political parties, floats, marching bands, horses (and pooper scoopers following behind), businesses, volunteer organizations, and fire trucks.

Lots of candy was tossed to the kids and Arie and Amelia got their share though they were sometimes distracted by the horses or floats.

After the parade was over we went our separate ways before later meeting at Colleen's house for MacKenzie River pizza and sandwiches. I stopped at a yard sale a few blocks from the parade.

The sale was in a yard of an old house near downtown. The two people operating the sale were what you'd call beatniks in the 1950s, hippies in the 1960s and 1970s, punks in the 1980s, and - what? - "alternative" today? She looked to be in her early 20s and had a black shirt and olive green pants. She had a few facial piercings though I can't remember where they were. Her short black hair had sections dyed a few colors. I seem to remember pink, green, and red. I was wearing an old "Keep on Bicycling" t-shirt from the 1970s. She liked my shirt a lot and commented how the shirt's colors matched her hair.

The main sale operator was a man in his 30s with shoulder length blond hair. I ended up buying a next-to-new XL men's Fall coat. The label is Powder Ridge. He had two identical coats except for the colors as he had gotten a second one as a gift. So he decided to sell one for $5. Being an extra large coat with long sleeves (not that easy to find) it will be another coat for me to have as an outer layer over other coats when bicycling or doing other outdoor activities this winter.

I also bought a CD for $1 of Django Reinhardt with Stepahane Grappelli music. Their music from 1934 - 1935. I haven't listened to a CD since I moved out here, but maybe this will encourage me to find my CD player.

Speakers were in the house's windows and music was playing. I asked, and yes, the music was by Tom Waits. Cool. These people had good taste in music.

The guy had three good sized tattoos on his forearms; one on his left arm and two on his right arm. The tattoos were all his designs and were black ink with no color. The left tattoo was skeleton bones of a horse. It was done in the style of the artist who did the old Grateful Dead posters from the 60s and 70s. The other tattoos were of his business's logo of a peace sign with fish encircling the sign. The last, a new tattoo, was meant to be a Mexican themed tattoo. The skull's shape was similar to the the skeleton from Mexico's Day of the Dead celebration, which is celebrated the day after our Halloween. The body had wings. That and the body's shape may or may not fit with the Mexican theme as I hadn't seen any similar image connected to what little I have seen of the Day or Dead images.

He was also selling snowshoes, but a friend of his wanted them and had requested he hold them until noon while he got the money for them. Darn. They looked like good snowshoes.

Tonight while watering my fruit trees I noticed a half dozen branches where the end leaves had been entirely eaten. It looked to be signs of tent caterpillars though I could not see any signs of them nor their webs. I cut the branches off in case eggs too small to be seen were on the branches. I had watered near this apple tree last night and did not notice this. But it was late and somewhat dark so that may explain why I missed seeing this. I'll see what tomorrow brings. Perhaps the caterpillars were gone for the evening as the sun had set before I noticed the damage.

Anyway, here are a few photos from the parade.



Now, do you think a fishing group called the "Happy Hookers" is the best group to be connected with "Kids Hooked on Fishing"?

No comments: