Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Picnic music: Andre Floyd

Tuesday night I attended the last concert of the season of Kalispell's Picnic in the Park series. The band was Andre Floyd and the Mood Iguana. The band is a blues band and they are very good.

Because I am not yet back into a routine I was able to get to the concert before it started. I saw my hiking friend Gary there, and before the concert started and his friend Louise arrived, I spoke to him about my Sundance Pass backpacking trip. I want to interest him in backpacking the trail with me as I want to climb the two mountains on each side of the Pass.

The concert's audience may have been slightly less than normal. Also because I got there earlier than usual I was able to find a seat on a park bench. I sat behind a sidewalk that divides the park grounds. In addition to seeing the band I was able to people watch as they walked by. I didn't see Colleen. I don't know if she arrived later and sat in the audience behind me.

Later a young couple came and sat on the bench next to me. He was tall, had long scraggly hair and carried a motorcycle helmet. He had a laid back hippie unwashed stoned attitude about him. She was younger (early 20s) to his mid to late 20s. She seemed slightly more "straight arrow" but was infatuated with him. Midway through the concert a woman came over to ask if if I rode the "shadow" (or a similar sounding name) motorcycle in the parking lot. Nope. She then asked the guy next to me but the motorcycle wasn't his either, though he wished it was.

At one point Jennifer, who runs the concert series for the Kalispell Park and Rec department, walked by after selling some raffle tickets. A $5 bill dropped to the sidewalk and I and others nearby tried to get her attention about the dropped money. It was when I shouted her name that she stopped and turned around and looked to where I was pointing at the money.

For the raffle they were no longer giving away 6 lb bags of dog food. This time they had two 10 week tickets for Jazzerize. No winners came forward to claim the prize. Finally a guy came forward. It turns out he had the previous two winning tickets so he relented and accepted the prize. As Jennifer said he didn't have to use the ticket and could give it to someone else.

As I said earlier the band was very good. Andre has a relaxed style of blues playing and I didn't notice him following any particular blues styles. He even had a song dedicated to Jerry Garcia and played it in the style of a Grateful Dead song. He writes some of his own songs. One song that Andre wrote got me thinking. He said it was about a local woman he met who worked at a shelter. Andre said communities need more "angels" like this woman. The song was called "Colleen". I seem to remember Colleen saying she either worked or volunteered at the animal shelter for a bit. I do know one of her good friends works at the Humane shelter. The lyrics to the song weren't real specific with details, but it could have been about Colleen. Hmmm...

It was getting dark by the time the concert finished. I had ridden my bicycle and rode home under the rising full moon so I had plenty of light to ride my bicycle. Colleen had wanted to repeat our moonlit bicycle ride on Going-to-the-Sun road, but as our relationship is over, so too are these plans. I had thought of riding the Sun road anyway this night as I enjoyed the ride even without Colleen's company; but as the moon was already fairly high, the Sun road is closed after 10 pm, the temperature was already getting cool, and I was still a little tired after my backpacking and traveling weekend, I decided to pass on a ride. Another time.

No comments: