Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Machinery Auction

Last Saturday I attended an auction a few miles away. It was their second annual auction. Most items were consignments.

There was not as much stuff this year. It seems as if most consignors last year (and this year) brought stuff that had been sitting out in their back pasture.

I arrived 2 hours after the auction started on a sunny day. There wasn't much I was interested in. Some wood posts and steel posts sold, but as I have enough posts right now, the winning bids were more than I wanted to pay.

A nice looking Allis Chalmers tractor with a small loader sold for $3900. It didn't have a three point hitch.

A restored and beautifully painted John Deere Model B at a bid of $2000 never met the reserve price.

I noticed Lyle's old, old truck and tractor were at the auction. They sold before I had arrived. Neither ran and he pulled them out from his pasture as he is moving and needed to get rid of them.

I decided to wait to bid on one of two roto-tillers. I wanted the rear tine 5 hp tiller. Now at auction sales the sellers usually start the items to show they work. They didn't start the roto-tillers. I am not sure if it was because the auctioneers were in a hurry to finish the auction or the tillers didn't work. I expected the rear tine tiller to go for $100. The winning bid was only $40. I could have bid $50 but I didn't want to buy a tiller that didn't work. The other front tine and smaller horse power tiller sold for $17.50. Cheap, but not if it didn't work.

Later I vacilitated on whether I should have taken a risk and bought the rear tine tiller. Did the other bids know the tillers didn't work (I overheard one man tell another he only bid on the front tine tiller because he wanted the tines), or were they like me not willing to bid on tillers that may not run? If the tiller worked it would have been a fantastic deal. Oh well...

No comments: