Sunday, May 13, 2007

Lonely and quiet

My uncles and aunts left early this morning. Last night lightning from thunderstorms over the western mountains lit the sky and by morning we had a light steady rain - which is good as it was getting dry. We needed the quarter plus inch of rain that fell. The rain was appropriate as the cloudy wet sky matched the sadness at my relatives leaving.

I climbed up on the roof of their motorhome and held the sign as Curt slowly drove out on the road. A lot of shouting and a mad scramble by me as I almost ran out of roof before Curt stopped and I was able to get down onto the ladder at the rear of the motorhome. Only one pickup had to wait as Curt needed to use both lanes to drive out onto the road.

Curt, Cathy, and Diane went on ahead while Larry finished getting ready. Since gasoline is cheapest here in the Flathead they wanted to fill the RV before leaving town. Then I would drive Larry to Perkins where we would meet and have a farewell breakfast.

We didn't tell Larry about this plan. I nonchalantly went about my business when Larry came out of the bathroom. I reminded him he had some clothes in the dryer. He had a puzzled looked as he stepped outside and didn't see the RV out back. I told him the others decided to leave him behind. He didn't believe me and walked out to the end of the porch to look around the house and down the driveway. No RV - and no place to hide a RV. Was that a look of fear in his eyes that the others left him behind?

We had great timing for all our restaurant meals and this was no exception. We arrived just before the rush and had an excellent meal.

It was raining hard again when we left the restaurant and dashed to the RV where we said our goodbyes. Cathy had forgotten her cell phone on the restaurant table and had to dash back in the rain to retrieve it.

Then they were off to the next part of their vacation in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho.

It was quiet and lonely today after my uncles and aunts left. I missed them all day.

No comments: