Saturday, May 26, 2007

Dan's feeder

It rained some Wednesday night. It was cool so I lit my wood stove and also made another pumpkin pie.

As part of having his four new steers here earlier than the rest of his herd Dan offered to bring a large roll of hay over. Thursday morning Dan brought a round hay feeder over. He then planned on bringing a couple hay rolls over in the afternoon. I joked about the weather forecast saying it will rain by 2 pm. Dan said, "I don't know. Curt said not to believe you when it comes to weather forecasts and rain."

It began to rain at 10 minutes to 2 pm.

Within a half hour the rain quit and Dan came over with two large rolls. The rain had started as he tied the rolls to his trailer after loading them. Dan joked I was right about the weather forecast and rain and that I should let Curt know I was correct. Oh, Curt....!

We rolled one roll into the corral and placed the feeder around it. The other roll was left outside the corral a few yards from the fence. Wouldn't you know it, even with a full roll of hay in the corral, a number of cattle will stand at the fence and gaze longingly at the roll outside the fence. A few tried to get their head through the fence to reach it. I guess the hay is greener on the other side of the fence!

I had talked with Lyle last week about how his move preparations were going. Yes, the old truck and tractor at the auction a few weeks ago were his. It turns out the panels that attached to make a hay feeder for the horse in his pasture were his. I had thought the horse owner owned the panels. Lyle also sold the panels at the auction and got little of nothing for them. I was a bit annoyed as I would have bought them from him.

"You don't keep cattle over winter so I didn't think you'd want them." Duh! I am feeding my cattle hay right now.

Oh well.

After Dan left it began to rain again and rained non-stop all the way to midnight. I was happy I didn't have to go out in the evening to feed a few bales of hay to the cattle. It is a good rain and we should be ok for a week or so of sunny warm weather. Just from last night to Friday morning the grass seems to have jumped higher. I lit the wood stove again Thursday night as the temperature was in the low 40s.

Rain in the Valley and snow in the mountains. Wonder if that will affect our hiking plans tomorrow?

No comments: