Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Robins!!

Darn wildlife! It seems I can't enjoy any wildlife.

This morning I heard a bird on my house's fiberglass entryway roof. Looking up I could see that the bird was under the house roof's overhang and its feet were scratching on my fiberglass roof as it hopped around.

I was afraid the bird somehow got stuck under the overhang as the fiberglass roof goes right under the house roof's overhang creating a small area with a small entrance/exit point.

I went out to the lawn to get a better look. I could see the bird - a robin - under the overhang. Seeing me the bird hopped down the fiberglass roof until it could fit under the overhang. Hopping on the open fiberglass roof it then flew away.

Hmmm?

Then I noticed a piece of pink fiberglass insulation on the ground under the roof. Then another. And another! Dozens of little pieces of the pink insulation were scattered around the yard.

Argh!!!

Those darn robins! They are making nests right now and I've noticed in the past they like to feather their nest with bits of insulation. Somehow the robins found that under the overhang they could access the insulation stuffed in my house's attic. Reaching into the open rafter section used for ventilation they were plucking out pieces of insulation.

I walked over to my tool shed to get some rags to plug the entrance under the overhang. A robin ran across the yard and then into the open area of the tool shed. The robin flew out squawking loudly as I got close to the tool shed. It flew over to the nearby fence and chewed me out.

*sigh*

A few years ago a pair of robins built a nest on one of the items hanging on the wall. Then got upset whenever I went into the tool shed to get a tool.

I looked around and found no nest. I removed a few items from the wall to eliminate any chance of the robins building a nest on them.

I've been tolerant of robins. I leave the pair alone who build a nest in the pole shed over my pickup. I just wash out my the pickup box the crap the birds leave. I hang bird food out my front window and right now am watching the little birds flit about and nibble on the suet.

Still... I don't know if I trust those birds anymore. The next I know my little Hungarian partridges will turn out to be a gang of thieves. Hmmm.. they sure run when they see me out and about. They are not cute but... guilty! guilty! guilty!

I think I need a cat.

No comments: