Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Cinnamon and flirting?

I ran some errands uptown today. I needed cinnamon in order to make another pumpkin pie today. I stopped at a Dollar Store. I had heard they were going out of business. Yes, this was true but the store was still open for a few more weeks. They didn't have any cinnamon left but I did buy two bottles of imitation vanilla extract to use in making my pumpkin bread and muffins.

After I paid and was leaving the counter the cashier asked if I baked. I told her yes.

"I love a man who cooks."

Or was it "I love it when a man cooks."?

Her statement caught me by surprise so I am not sure which statement she actually said. Being a simple male, and not able to multi-task, my mind had been focused on buying what I needed then getting on to my next shopping errand. As I continued to the door I told her I am not much of a cook as I only really make a few desserts.

She said something like "That's still good." I shrugged and smiled as I slipped out the door.

I was more worried that she had this idea I could cook. My former girlfriends could all cook. They are excellent cooks. The women in my hiking group can all cook. When people get all excited when they learn I can bake one or two things, it can get intimidating. Believe me, I am nowhere close to being a cook. So when the cashier gushed about liking guys who could cook, I beat a hasty retreat as any exchange of recipes would show I am a one-trick pony.

As I walked to my car the idea then entered my mind... "Was she trying to flirt with me?" After all I did look directly into her eyes when I paid for the vanilla extract. My ex-girlfriends have all told me they really liked my eyes. Did I inadvertently seduce this poor cashier? (haha )

The geek that I am, I tend not to look people in their eyes. It is hard to talk and look into a person's eyes at the same time. Earlier she seemed knowledgeable and friendly when I asked where the store's spices were located. And she seemed trim and fit and attractive as I remember. And age appropriate. This is all in hindsight as I was focused on "finding what I needed, buying what I needed, getting out of the store to my next task". I wasn't exactly in the "notice the opposite sex" frame of mind. I know, us guys are suppose to be in that frame of mind all the time, but I have a million tasks to complete before Spring is over.

Romance and wooing takes time to do right. Time I don't have now if I am to finish trimming the willow tree, plant my garden, plant my new trees, burn the ditches and tree stumps, fix my harrows and harrow the pasture, redo fences, and buy cattle before Spring is over. Plus all the little chores.

So what phrase did the cashier exactly say? And how did she say it? Was she making conversation or flirting to get to know me? I guess I'll never know. I blew my chance.

I found cinnamon at the only other dollar store in town and that female cashier never said more than "Do you want a bag for that?"

No comments: