Monday, March 12, 2007

Health insurance

Health insurance companies!!! BAH!

I think I have my former health insurance company back on track today. Last November I had my eyes checked as a follow up to my earlier cataract surgery. This checkup is 100% covered by my health insurance - especially as I had already met my deductible for the year.

Assurant, the health insurance company, claimed the checkup was a regular eye exam and wouldn't pay. I had my eye clinic resend a letter explaining the situation and that they had coded their billing claim correctly. This was December 12. Last Saturday I got a letter from the clinic saying they were going to sic someone on me to get me to pay. What?! I thought this had been paid.

I called Assurant Health this morning and they said they had approved my claim January 19 and had sent it to the network provider (Interwest) for an adjustment and were waiting back. What? It took from December 12 to January 19 to check the clinic's billing code? And then they did nothing for two months? Now you're going to expedite my claim? Hmmph!

Oh, I see. I have heard about how insurance companies "deny, deny, deny" in an effort to wear people down so they quit pursuing justice, else they delay payment so as to earn interest on the money. No wonder health insurance is so expensive. Clinics and hospitals have to spend time and money just to collect what they are due.

They picked the wrong person to do this to. I am wound up about this new subdivision so I was not about to roll over on my health insurance claim.

Assurant Health promised me they would pay the clinic within 10 calendar days. If they are waiting for Interwest, the 'independent' network provider, how can Assurrant promise payment in 10 days?

I tell you, I am glad I switched to a new health care insurance company this year and no longer with Assurant.

No comments: