Sunday, March 18, 2007

More tree trimming

I've been back at more tree trimming today and yesterday. On the left side of the photo I again climbed up above where the power lines cross the photo.

While you can't see it from here, the branch that curves to the right is actually two branches. The one short branch goes up into the leftmost dead branch in the middle of the long right leaning branch. I know, confusing.

I cut off the short dead branch that goes upward. While I didn't have to reach quite as far as when I had sawed the right leaning branch in two, I still had to reach for this branch.

This time the branch fell as I planned. As it fell it hit the dead branch (just above the power line) that goes from the left tree trunk to the right tree trunk. Then the cut branch fell on the west (back) side of the tree to the ground. No harm done. Just pieces of the shattered dead branch all over the yard.

Then I decided to cut more of the right leaning branch. I eventually plan to cut the left trunk in the middle between the power lines and where it splits into smaller tree branches. As I am still concerned that when I do this there is a small chance the falling branch could strike my entryway roof, I decided to cut more of the right leaning part of the branch.

I started to cut at the point where only a third of the branch will be left. I couldn't cut more of the branch due to a concern the falling branch would fall on me or the power line below.

It was still a reach to saw up above me. The branch was 8 inches or more thick and now I was in the live part of the branch. While still dormant from winter, and without sap, the cutting was slower than cutting through a dead branch.

Halfway through my saw blade was getting stuck in the cut. I couldn't get a good angle and pressure to cut from the other side so I started a second cut a half inch from the first.

The sun had set and dusk was falling. The owls were out in the trees to the NE and where making "Hoo.. Hoo.." sounds calling to one another. I had cut over 2/3 of the branch - twice! - but decided to call it a night. I had been cutting branches for 3 1/2 hours and decided to quit before I got too tired and slipped out of the tree.

This afternoon I was back up in the tree. There was a slight breeze today but I didn't have the high clouds above me as I looked up at the branch to cut. Yesterday those high clouds sometimes would kick in my fear of heights. I know, sounds strange to get leery about heights when looking up, but the distance between the branch and clouds registered in my mind. Besides my peripheral vision also kept me aware that I was very high in the tree and the ground was far below.

It didn't take long to cut through the rest of the branch as I had more strength today than when I quit cutting yesterday. Before climbing the tree today I tied a rope to the power line that goes to the garage and pulled it out and away from the tree the few feet the line's slack allowed me. No sense taking a chance of hitting the power line again.

I also moved the extension ladder to the west side of the tree and climbed up from that side. It is not my preferred way of climbing into the tree but I was concerned the falling branch would strike my ladder if it was east of the tree.

The branch fell perfectly. It fell beside the tree trunk and branches and did not strike them or the power line. The branch fell where I earlier had my ladder on the east side of the tree. Good thing I had moved my ladder.

Then I wanted to cut the left trunk where I had mentioned earlier. While it looks like the falling trunk and short branch will miss my house's entryway, I decided to tie a rope to the top of the tree trunk and then attach the rope to a few large tree branches I had cut earlier. I moved these branches out to the west and kept tension the rope. Hopefully this will guide the falling trunk away from my entryway.

By now the breeze had kicked up enough to sound my wind chimes. I decided to cut this tree trunk another day.

I began to work on the right leaning tree trunk. Standing on the extension ladder - which was against the west side of the tree - I trimmed the dead branches and dead ends of branches from the west side of the tree. A few falling branches rattled the power line but did not break it.

I leaned the ladder against the garage. From here I was able to trim more dead branch ends.

I still had time so I decided to try to trim the dead parts of the lowest branch under the right leaning tree trunk. In the photo this branch doesn't look that tall. Trust me, it is. Standing near the top of a step ladder, and with the pole saw fully extended, I couldn't reach the branch.

I got my pickup and with the step ladder in the pickup bed I could barely reach the branch. I had no one to hold the step ladder steady and that made me a little nervous.

Then I got the idea of stacking wooden pallets in the pickup bed. I had have plenty of them as I had placed hay bales on them in the past. I made a stack twice the height of the pickup. I had a pallet with a sheet of plywood on each side instead of boards for slats. I placed this pallet on top. My stack was so high I had to load a number of pallets in the pickup bed, then standing in the pickup bed lift and place the last few pallets on the stack.

I parked the pickup under the branch and gingerly climbed the stack. The stack was a little wobbly so I took care to watch my balance. From this height I could reach the lower branch and didn't even have to completely extend the pole saw.

I trimmed the dead branches and then trimmed the dead end of the branch. I initially thought of completely cutting off this branch but decided the tree doesn't have too many live branches left so I should try to save the ones I could.

A few times when cutting I would have to stop to let the stack wobble subside. I was glad when I was done as vertigo was starting to make itself known as I stood on this 4 ft square high above the ground.

I found climbing down the stack was harder than climbing up. It is tricky to find a place to put one's feet when you can't see your feet and the stack is wobbling with you clinging to the side of it.

As I drove my pickup back into the pole shed the stack wobbled and the top three pallets fell off. That was ok as I found the stack with the three less pallets barely fit in the pole shed.

So I have cut all dead branches that can be reached from the ground. After I finishing cutting the left leaning tree trunk section I need to figure out how to get higher in the right side of the tree to get the dead branches in its upper part.

Friday I had talked with my neighbor Bob. Years ago when he lived in Whitefish he had a large willow tree like mine. It cost him $1,000 to have someone cut it down for him. I am saving lots of money, but it is taking time in addition to giving me a workout. My mornings are slow going. I wish I knew someone who had one of those trucks with extension booms, like the electric company has. It would be quick work if I had use of one.

If wishes were fishes, then we would all cast nets.
Frank Herbert (1920 - 1986), Dune
US science fiction novelist

No comments: