Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Independence and Perserverence

There is good and bad to being independent. The good is that I am fine with it just being me, the bad is that sometimes it is nice to have someone else to share the burden, or give me a word of encouragement. When a person is by themself sometimes it can be hard to motivate oneself to persevere. When you are with another person they can help encourage you to go on and continue the task. When you are by yourself it is up to you to figure out how to accomplish the goal and at the same time you have to motivate yourself to continue and not get discouraged. Of course, with another person you may have to encourage them to continue. So maybe I shouldn't complain.

It is just today I had to motivate myself multiple times to continue the subdivision battle. I'm getting tired. I've been up and down all day emotionally. Sometimes I am totally convinced I am right and that I will prevail. Other times I feel it is hopeless - who am I to go up against some rich Florida developer with his money, lawyer, engineering company and planner spokes-person? On top of that I have to convince the county planners and commissioners (who just want to approve all the developments they can) that I am right. I am a speed bump to be run over.

Then Jamie stops by with his letter. A brilliant letter where he took my 3 ideas and summarized them into a single page. Then I am energized again. Then I am discouraged as John said he wasn't interested in sending a letter as he didn't see how it really affected him, whereby I would have to explain all over again why it would affect him and why he should send a letter. Then I am encouraged as Lyle said he would give me a letter in the morning and maybe attend the meeting.

Man, I will be glad when Wednesday is over. I don't care for public speaking but it is up to me to explain to the Planning Board the traffic impacts to my part of the Valley and why the developer's plat must be changed to accommodate a future extension of Tronstad Road. I don't think anyone else will - unless I have inspired some people to also attend the meeting.

Well, I have ridden alone half way across the North American continent on my bicycle. If I can do that, I should be able to get through this. Wish me luck!

No comments: