Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Rototilling, dog ownership, caragana

Not a lot going on today. I got more bread this morning for my "girls". They prefer the long thin French baguette's. In fact the drier the better. I had a round loaf of Italian bread that I tore into pieces, and wasn't old and dry. I fed this after the French baguettes and most heifers spit it back out. They later ate it off the ground when they realized that was all the bread I was giving them for the day. Or at least the heifers that aren't fussy ate it all.

As I hung my wash on the clothesline they all came over to this section of the fence. I dunno, maybe they associate me along the fence with treats to eat.

While riding along the road today I noticed they have eaten the grass in the ditch where they can get their heads through the barb wire. With all the grass inside the fence... *sigh*

A nice day, if a little on the windy side. I rode the long way home after stopping at the local postal substation. By then Bob and Jan had finished clearing stuff from their garden bed. Last Thursday Bob had a cast put on his foot. The healing from his surgery has been going slow, and walking on it hasn't helped the healing. I volunteered to rototill their garden bed for them this year.

They have an old monster rear tine self propelled tiller that I wrestled around the garden bed. (Actually moving the tiller when it wasn't running was harder!) During the first go-around one wheel would always go in the newly tilled dirt making the tiller cock-eyed. I eventually stopped fighting this and let it till this way.

Just before finishing the first go-around the belt driving the tines came off. Fixed that. Shortly after I started the second go-around a loud screeching noise started. After several tries at adjustments the screeching would start again. Bob decided to call it a day and he will investigate it another day.

Then off to relax and enjoy a nice supper Jan made as reward for my help. Fresh asparagus from their yard - yum!

Earlier today I verified the ownership of a very nice friendly mama dog that Bob and Jan have taken to feeding and brushing. Other neighbors thought the dog either belonged to the people in the "3rd trailer" down the road, or the trailer north of me. I knew this dog was not the same as the dog belonging to the trailer north of me. While riding to the postal station I saw people outside the "3rd trailer" - a man and a woman in their early to mid 20s. He seemed nice and laid back; she was talking on a cell phone and wore a short dress (I'm a guy, I notice things like that. What was the guy wearing? Can't remember. )

I stopped and asked if they had a dog. Yup, and "Brian" owned a dog. They showed me and it was the same dog. "Ok, just wonderin' if it was a stray as I seen it roaming a lot down the road."

While this guy seemed nice, she seemed a little cold having got off the phone and joined our conversation. As for Brian? Don't know. I wonder if Brian is a guy who likes the idea of having a dog, but not caring for it?

Before rototilling Bob's garden bed I dug out of it a number of small caragana trees and a few other tiny mystery trees.

I filled three small pails. I planted two pails along the road in the yard and part of the fruit tree area. I would like to plant them along my northern fence boundary but the cattle would taste test them, especially if they see me planting them. By now it was 10 pm and getting dark. I'll plant the remainder tomorrow.

Oh yeah... Grant brought the bee hives over last night. Two stacks. Yay! The more the better. I still am eating my share of the honey from last year. Grant won 1st place at the NW Montana fair last year for his honey, and tasting it you can tell why. Yum! Yum! Yum!

No comments: