Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Quiet Memorial Day

A few brief sprinkles and that was it for rain today. But it was overcast and cool (upper 50s F) all day today so I didn't do much. Nice to have a break from outside work and be able to catch up on reading old newspapers; but now I'm starting to feeling guilty/lazy/antsy and want to get back to outside work again.

The grass was dry by late afternoon so I checked the pocket gopher traps. Only 1 caught, with 2 more traps plugged with dirt by those rascally animals. The rest of the traps, nothing.

I stacked the cut logs from the tree in the south pasture out of the way under another pine tree. I'll have to finishing cutting this tree into smaller pieces before letting the cattle into this pasture.

On the walk back home I stopped, checked and counted the cattle. The cattle seem to be very happy in the tall grass. I think the weekend rain may have helped wash most of the rest of the dry manure from their fur. The manure was originally from the auction barn and the trip up here. The cattle are now a combination of sleek hair and winter fur. Some cattle are shedding nicely while others have a ways to go to get rid of their winter fur.

Other than a bicycle ride to the grocery store to get a few items (just an excuse to ride as I really didn't need anything), that's about it for today.

Looking out the window the world is lush green and blue/white. Green grass and pine trees and blue/white mountains and clouds, and a white fence. Those are all the colors.

No comments: