Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Badger and skunk

The weather was better today. Warmer at least as the temperature got up to 63 F. It felt warmer. Scattered rain sprinkles a few times during the day. Short lived so I kept working outside.

Cattle

The cattle came around the barn several times during the day and spent time taking their siesta in the loafing shed. I gave them some bread. I only have a few loaves left as the Food Bank didn't have extra this week. No matter, the cattle have lots of grass and the earlier loaves did their job in getting the cattle accustomed to me.

As the cattle have again made the loafing shed as part of their routine their infatuation with the north pasture has lessened. They must trust that the pasture will be available to them whenever they want and don't have to worry about getting locked back into the corral.

Badger

Last evening when riding home I was surprised as a large flat brown animal ran across the road in front of me, into the ditch, then across my hayfield before disappearing into the grass by the closest power line tower. "What the?!" It appears the animal was a badger. I didn't get a chance to see its head, but the body looks to be a badger judging from the photos of badgers.

Apparently the "jeffersonii " subspecies is the species of badgers west of the Rocky Mountains.
"badgers mostly dine on ground squirrels, marmots and pocket gophers but also take other small mammals, birds, fish, insects and even the odd rattlesnake."
Now a badger comes by, after I rid much of the property of the pocket gophers!! Hopefully the badger will go after the prairie gophers.



Skunk

Tonight as I rode to town a skunk crossed the street. This was in Evergreen district. While not a part of Kalispell its streets are like city streets but without curbs and gutters. The skunk crossed the road and went among the trees and shrubs of a house's front yard. Needless to say I stopped and waited for the skunk to get a distance away, then rode on the opposite side of the street as I rode by yard.

Pocket Gophers

I trapped 5 more today. I now have trapped over 100 for the year.

Otherwise today was an odds-and-ends day as I did this and that, but not much to speak of.

No comments: