Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Moving cattle around

After Donna, her friend Betty, and Betty's husband, helped me band and ear tag the new calves (calves 4, 5 and 6) on Monday, since I had extra people to help me, we all switched the calves and the bull around.  I still have another month before I need to put the bull into the corral to delay him getting some cows pregnant.  But with help, why not do it now?  And it helped that Haynes had followed us back to the corral entrance.   Let's do it.

First we got Haynes into the corral.  Then we got him to go to the east side of the corral to check things out.  Then Betty's husband handled the south corral gate on the west side and Donna handled the corral gate to the north pasture.  I herded the replacement heifer calves out of the south corral and to the pasture.  Initially they didn't want to leave the corral and around and around we went.  Three heifers finally left.  Then I had to find the last heifer who was hiding at the eastern end.  Haynes saw what was going on and before I got the last heifer out I had to herd Haynes into the loading corral where cow 110 and her calf spent the previous night.

I also herded the second calf that was born last week and her mother out into the north pasture.  




Then I herded Haynes into the south corral. 

So, in the south corral are: Haynes, cow 110 and her calf, and the two steer calves from last year that I will sell in April or May.

Here are Betty and her husband after all our work.

No comments: