Tuesday, March 14, 2023

2023 - Calf 2

This afternoon the second calf was born.  I didn't see it until almost dark.  Earlier I had to put out another large hay bale in the middle pasture for the cattle.   First I had to use the tractor to clear the snow to provide an area on which to put the hay bale.  That took some time.

Then I had to spend time to use a pitchfork to carry some hay from the calves feeder over to the wooden feeder for the three cows in the main corral.

Of course the cow that had a calf was out in the north pasture.  One would think the two cows in the corral would be next to have a calf.

After I got the remaining cows and Haynes from the north pasture over into the middle pasture and hay, then I could deal with the cow and new calf.  I had to lead the cows and Haynes from the north pasture to the middle pasture and the hay bale.  Of course Hayne then got into a mood.  I made sure I kept a distance from him.  If a number of cows got ahead of Haynes he would spin and turn around.  Then run ahead and then put his head and neck down into the snow and rub all around.  When cows passed him he would run ahead and then rub against another snow pile.  Once he and the cows reached the hay bale he settled down.

I wanted to put the cow and her new calf into the corral.  Warmer and drier in the corral, and a little snow is in the forecast for tonight.  And the mother then would have some hay to eat when she would later get hungry.

Getting the two into the corral was a chore.  And I approached the calf started drinking from the cow.  And drink, and drink, and drink.  I think I stood there 15 to 20 minutes while the calf drank.  Finally it was done drinking.  I had brought the plastic sled to drag the calf across the snow and ice to the corral.  The calf is big.  I had the sled near the snow.  I picked up the calf to carry it to the sled, and the calf was so big and heavy I couldn't.  I moved the sled next to the calf.  I then lifted and put the calf in the sled.  Before I could grab the rope to put the sled, the calf shood up and got out of the sled.  Again I tried and again the calf stood before I could grab the rope.  Normally the new born calves don't move and stand so quick, but this calf is different.

Over and over and then I gave up.  Maybe I could herd the cow and calf and have them walk to the corral.  Nope.  The cow didn't want to leave the ground under the tree and walk on the snow.  And the calf didn't want to leave the cow and also didn't want to walk on the snow as that was hard to do.  Then I had to wait while the calf peed.  I hadn't checked the calf's sex and it was now getting dark.   But I am pretty sure the calf is a boy.  The calf was standing in water and the peeing sound was nosier than usual.  It appears the sound of it peeing was coming from under the calf and not behind the calf.  And he peed and peed and peed and peed.  It went on a long time.

As I couldn't get the calf to walk across the snow I tried again to put him on the sled.  This time I was able to grab the rope and get the sled moving before he could stand.  I only had to stop once when he started to slip out of the sled, but I got him back in.

Once I got the calf and the cow into the corral I closed the corral gate. Before I could pull the sled again the calf stood up and out of the sled.   I tried once more to get the calf into the sled and over to the loafing shed but the calf got the rope around his front legs.  By the time I got the rope untangled he stood up.  I gave up.  There is less snow in the corral and he was able to walk on it.  And the other calf was very interested in meeting this new calf. And her mother stopped eating hay and came over to watch and supervise the situation.  I let them all be.  The calves will eventually find their way to the loafing shed.

It was very dark now.  Tomorrow I will check to make sure the calf is a boy, then band it and ear tag it.  I'll have photos of the calf tomorrow.

No comments: